Monday, June 14, 2010

Crystal Light Pure Fitness: How Do You Stay Motivated?

This is sponsored content from BlogHer and Crystal Light Pure Fitness.

Um...I'm currently writing this rather than following my normal exercise routine, so it's sort of an ironic topic. How to stay motivated with a fitness routine, not only when it's hard to push yourself to run when you're already exhausted, but carving out the time when too many other things get in the way.

But stay with me on this one.

For the most part, I'm fairly strict with keeping on my fitness routine because I schedule it into my day in the same way I schedule doctor's appointments, phone calls, and work meetings. None of those items are life-and-death in the same way meals and sleep get automatically worked into the day, but all are tasks I'm trying to accomplish and as long as they go into my daily planner, they tend to get done unless other items throw them off course.

Er...such as a blog post.

Which is to say that there has to be a healthy flexibility in a schedule lest you become resentful of fitness. I never want it to be a chore; something that takes me away from other things I love. Instead, I try to make it my "me" time and then it looks a lot more enticing. I use it to think, work out blog posts in my head, unplug for an hour. Sometimes I lose my "me" time in order to take care of more pressing tasks, but I always try to get back to my "me" time.

Woman in garden holding water bottle, wiping face with towel
I also remain motivated by keeping a notebook where I record what I did, how long I worked out, and--because the Wii gives me the information--how many calories I burned. Seeing what I have accomplished often gives me the energy to keep going. There are times when I'm on the fence about heading downstairs to run, and then I start fanning back through the pages that stretch to last winter and I'm so proud of myself for all of the miles I've logged that it gets me off the sofa and back into my sneakers.

Eating well and drinking water follow the same ideology. I give myself flexibility to eat junk from time to time, knowing full well that you need to look at the big picture and not beat yourself up over the individual choices. If I'm at an amusement park, I know that I'm going to end up with the ice cream bar rather than the cut fruit, and I take that in stride. It means that I double my efforts while at home, where it's easier to eat well and drink a lot.

And while I don't record what I eat or how much I drink, I still use visual cues to stay on task. I stock the refrigerator with fruits and vegetables--taking the time to sometimes cut them up beforehand so I have no excuse for not tossing together a salad instead of reaching for yet another bowl of cereal (my go-to meal when I don't feel like cooking). Currently in my refrigerator, in addition to the twins' milk containers, there are pitchers of iced tea, Crystal Light Pure Fitness, and a full Brita. Having those options on hand and ready to go make it more likely that I'll drink it.

How about you? How do you stay motivated? Tell me by leaving a comment below. Each comment is an entry in the sweepstakes I'm holding at the end of this four-part series for a $100 gift card. And I'm not the only one running this contest: by clicking here, you also have 4 other chances to win $100 as well as a $1,000 sweepstakes on the round-up page. You can also read more on the official rules page.

34 comments:

Kelsey said...

I just make it fun, and I always enjoy some alone time!!
micahandkelsey1(at)cox(dot)net
www.courageousmother.blogspot.com

jodifur said...

I try to mix up my exercise routine so I never get bored

Anne said...

I stay motivated because my 17 year old daughter is my training buddy. We keep each other going when we get tired.

Busted Kate said...

I stay modivated by thinking about the little life growing inside of me... and how much he/she will be benefited by me staying healthy and active!

kjasus said...

several things motivate me to work out. rain: if it rains i usually hit the gym. coffee: enlivens my sluggish body to get moving. the mirror: one look and i'm hitting the gym, or biking my son to the park.

raggammuffin@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I stay motivated by paying attention to my stiffness. It's a self-motivator to get rid of the stiffness! Yoga!

Ellen K. said...

I stay motivated by repeating the mantra I used during my twin pregnancy after IVF: Every day counts. My exercise routine isn't extensive, but I can squeeze it into nearly every morning, and even a quick mile run on the treadmill gives me more energy for the long days -- and nights! -- at home with twin toddlers.

That's my G-rated answer. I don't usually mention that I've thrown out all my old underwear and switched to a much more revealing style, which is a very effective way of staying motivated tracking my progress. ; )

Unknown said...

My husband and I exercise together and that helps keep me motivated. We both go to the gym at 6:00 in the morning (7:00 during the summers) and work out for 30 minutes. If I had to wake up on my way every day to workout, I would just stay in bed. But, having him go with me helps me get out of bed, dressed in my workout gear and out the door.

Kristin said...

I try to stay motivated by keeping lots of bottles of water around and cold. It makes it a lot easier to grab for that.

areyoukiddingme said...

I stay motivated by setting my alarm. Once I wake up, I'm up - no snooze button for me. So, since I don't have to be anywhere for some time, I might as well exercise. This falls apart a bit on weekends, when my daughter says "sit with me, Mommy!" But I'm working on tearing myself away, because it's good for both of us.

Lori Lavender Luz said...

I'm just sure I left a comment here awhile back. But maybe this is going to make me the randomly picked one.

I stay motivated because I want to age effortlessly. I have finally found the fitness activities that I enjoy, not ones I endure.

Mary Jane said...

I do a few things. I hung up my bathing suit outside of my closet, allow myself to rent/purchase a new workout DVD when none of the ones I own seem appetizing, and reward myself on Sundays with a bagel for breakfast and desert after dinner.

HereWeGoAJen said...

When I was working out, I had a calendar where I kept track of my workouts. And if I didn't go, I had to write down the reason why instead. It just felt lame to write down "didn't feel like it" so I went instead.

Geochick said...

I stay motivated because I love having muscles that are defined. Plus I love to eat and drink!

KteeB said...

My motivation to keep working out and losing weight has been that every time I lose enough weight that my clothes are a little too big, I donate them. That way, if I gain any weight back, I have nothing to wear! I can't afford to buy clothes very often so I've found that it's pretty good motivation.

Karina said...

working out with my husband keeps me motivated

Erin from Long Island said...

I stopped running when I was about 21 and decided, on my 27th bday, to start again. It has been slow progress, with injuries making it slower, but my body, confidence, blood test, and mood have all improved. Why would I want to lose all that?

Anne said...

I find having a fitness buddy helps me stay motivated. Right now my 17 year old daughter is exercising with me.
ajolly1456 at gmail dot com

Birdie S. said...

I ride my bike faithfully it gets me out in the beauty of my surroundings & that motivates me to be a healthy person both in boy & spirit birdson@roadrunner.com

Mami2jcn said...

I stay motivated by listening to good music and trying to make exercising fun.

mami2jcn at gmail dot com

Deb Anderson said...

I take a tour through my closet at all the cute clothes I can no longer fit in, or that I bought on sale thinking "one day...I'll be able to wear that". That's my motivation. :)

Anonymous said...

I stay motivated by setting small goals to achieve one at a time, saying "I want to drop one dress size first, I'll work toward that, then I'll work on dropping one more" instead of saying "My goal is to hurry and lose two dress sizes". My making the goals a little smaller and breaking them up, I find them easier to accomplish and I get less discouraged. :)

Thanks!
shevilkenevil1 at aol dot com

Justine L said...

My husband motivates me: I thrive on competition, and he runs regularly. I also stay motivated by signing up for yoga class; the commitment of a regular class makes me feel like I'm required to show up. Even years out of school, I'm still the consummate diligent student! ;)

Anonymous said...

I use many different videos of Billy Blanks. It's hard at the beginning of every workout, but the benefits after are awesome. I always know that if I want that GREAT feeling - I have to workout daily:)

jmatek@wi.rr.com

Flying Monkeys said...

If I could stay motivated I wouldn't have 70 pounds to lose. LOL! I used to journal everything I ate and all my exercise. I still have them, maybe they'll motivate me.

Flying Monkeys said...

If I could stay motivated I wouldn't have 70 pounds to lose. LOL! (I know it's not really funny.) I used to journal everything I ate and all my exercise. I still have them, maybe they'll motivate me.

Brittney said...

During a workout, the right music keeps my motivated. But in order to get to the actual workout, I remind myself that being healthy will be what's best for myself and family when we try to start having babies.

Anonymous said...

The best motivation for me is having a partner in my husband! Also, we try to train for something, like a 5k or a 10k. Having a goal is always great!

subfertilefrugalista@gmail.com

Hannah LaRue said...

I try to have fun and keep my goal in mind (lose weight, stay fit, help my fertility).

hannahoberg@yahoo.com

LindsayC said...

I stay motivated because I know what will happen if I don't. I had surgery on my knee and I slacked off in my post rehab workout and it cost me. So now I look at my body as the intricate machine it is and I do what I can to maintain it because it makes my life easier. When my body works my mind works and I'm happier.

Anonymous said...

What motivates me is doing something fun. We got a Wii fit and its really fun to compete with the family and use it as a way to get everyone active and competing!

teacherlinz at yahoo dot com

Sunny said...

I joined a private Facebook group with some friends so we can hold each other accountable on our fitness and weight loss goals without it being posted about publicly all over our walls!

Katie said...

My husband does a good job of helping keep me motived. Plus having cute {smaller sized} clothes from pre-baby help keep me motivated as well.

Just call me "B" said...

I stay motivated by using my friends! We all set goals, races, dates, etc!!!It really helps